Tuesday 27 September 2011

25 degrees Celsius

I would like to apologise to everyone that had to sit through one of my weather related rants, as it appears no one this way had much of a summer either. A lovely man told me there must be someone tuning the weather for me as this last week I have had nothing but sunshine, following a summer of nothing but rain.

I rolled into Rembrandt’s birthplace, Leiden, the other day and I fell in love. It’s a small university town built on a series of canals and it absolutely charmed me. Saturday market stretching along the water, fresh seafood, sunshine, lovely people what else could anyone ask for.

There is so much more to the Netherlands than Amsterdam. Places I probably would never have seen had I not been travelling with my bike. I’d say that is what I have enjoyed most so far. The freedom to ride through, and stop in the smaller places that don’t have the ready English menu for tourists.


That famous sport cliché ‘one day at a time’ rings so true. You can’t get ahead of yourself; you just need to enjoy the moments as they come, as it genuinely is a rollercoaster of emotions.

One minute I’m enjoying the morning sunshine in the main square in Haarlem with no train or bus to rush off to, the next I’m packing my bags with 90km on the map!

Although my blogs may not suggest, I do go through ‘why on earth did I decide to do this’ moments everyday, but then when the sun is out all day, legs feeling great, riding through nice scenery, there aren’t too many places I’d rather be.

If the feeling of accomplishment at the end of each day were the highlight, I would say the worst feeling is that breakfast always has a sense of something good about to end.

As I prepare to get a little closer to the German border, Enshcede, I have passed the 1,000km mark with quite a few free days I have saved for a rainy day (literally).

As my cousin Beti said in a lovely email, I still have a long long way to go. Thanks Beti, your email really did mean the world to me.

I’m on day 15 now and my brain has not stopped. It’s not a bad thing.

Until Germany,

Jag