Friday 23 September 2011

Tomorrow is another day

Two updates in two days, you might think I’ve gone mad. Next thing I might even sign up to that thing ‘facebook’.

Well I almost went mad today. I had my worst day on the bike yet. Somehow through my own lack of attention I got lost coming out of Antwerp and ending up riding 20km through the ports.

Trust me it is not a pleasant experience especially since those roads are only signed with dock/port numbers. I didn’t know where I was going, or where I came from. I have never been gladder I can keep a calm and cool head in stressful situations.

It wasn’t just not knowing where I was, put on top of that trucks flying past. I had my own path but fully loaded you feel every truck go past, my hands are now sore from gripping the handlebars so tight.

Is that a turn off, slow down, stop, speed up, cross the road, turn back, check the map, look around.

20km of this! My mind started playing tricks on me, I couldn’t remember if I had crossed a bridge and if so how many bridges had I crossed?!?

My ‘detour’ ended when I reached a small town and got myself back on the way to Breda.

Today I learned the importance of having Plan B. It was mentioned to me a few times before I left and like a few other things I ignored it. I arrived in Breda with 70km on the clock already and another 50km to reach Rotterdam, and that just wasn’t going to happen.

Instead I forced myself to ride another 20km before jumping on a comfortable train to Rotterdam. I say forced because there was nothing enjoyable about it. My confidence had taken a big hit, I was a little unsettled and when it’s just you and a bike and lots of roads you have never seen before confidence on the road is a big thing.

My final stroke of genius came in Rotterdam. I booked a hotel room, could not remember the name of the hotel, didn’t know the location and the only place I had it was on my email. Finding wifi seems easy when you don’t have a loaded bike to lug around with you.

Nonetheless, a little annoyed with myself I have crossed into the Netherlands. Once again dressed for the occasion but unfortunately Hawthorn also lost today so all in all gutted!

Nothing that some pizza and ice cream couldn’t fix……..tomorrow is another day.