Saturday 22 October 2011

Prague

Zoya Phan (Campaigns Manager at Burma Campaign UK) and I are about the same age, in fact I often think about what I was doing while Zoya and her family were fleeing from yet another attack on their village. No doubt I was running away too, from one of my mates in another game of ‘war’ in the safe confines of my neighbourhood.

When I first read Zoya’s autobiography, Little Daughter, I was touched by her mother’s strength and selfless dedication to her family and to the Karen. Now that I know Zoya better I realise she too possesses that strength. She never stops, her focus and dedication to her people’s struggle I cannot help but admire, but what sets her apart is how much time she has for those around her.

I have spent a lot of time on my bike in the last few weeks thinking about the people in my life, and I can’t think of anyone else so courageous.

Since walking into the Burma Campaign UK office 6 months ago I have met a few people with stories like Zoya’s and what began as a simple wish to make a significant donation has turned into a desire to do anything that can make a difference.

I knew I did not have the means to click the donate button and make a generous contribution but what I did have was time and a sense of adventure and I knew I could turn that into a few thousand pounds.

Volunteering at Burma Campaign UK whilst preparing for the bike ride, opened my eyes to a lot of the world. I listened, read and learnt and now that I have had an opportunity to process, I no longer believe I have had a fortunate upbringing. How can my suburban childhood be considered fortunate and not simply normal?

How can there be so much wrong in the world? How can there be so many stories like Zoya’s? How can people grow up with so much fear? How can so many people know, yet sit back and do nothing?

Not long after I left London someone asked me if I was worried that I might fail. No. I ensured I wouldn’t fail the moment I left Trafalgar Square. Not completing 2000km or not arriving in Prague is not failure. Those who sit on their backsides and complain about the world are those who fail. Those who pass judgment and criticise yet delude themselves by believing their actions will somehow help anyone but then them, fail.

Stop thinking about doing something and get up and do it. Don’t listen to those who tell you, you can’t or you shouldn’t. There is no harm in biting off more than you can chew because you may learn that you have not been taking big enough bites.

Thank you to all those who sincerely supported me and wished me well over the past 6 weeks. Your kind words and small gestures will always stay with me. Whether it was an email to check that I’m still alive, or a ‘think of your top five songs’ task to distract me, I really do appreciate it.

Those coming to Prague, I cannot wait to see you, especially my sister, I’m absolutely hanging for a hug.

One last cheeky thanks before I pack my stuff one last time and head into Prague, happy 32nd anniversary to my parents for Monday, you brought us up to believe in hard work, respect and smiling and for that I will always be grateful.

It has been an amazing 6 weeks, I do not regret doing this in any way, I’ve had some amazing moments and some equally tough days. And to those wondering, yes I am already planning my next trip I can never get sick of cycling, in fact the 100 hours I spent of the bike were the easiest part of the adventure.

So here I am 10km away from Prague, and all I feel right now is pure relief. I don’t feel the sense of accomplishment I was certain would envelop me. I feel like I have so much more to give and there is no time stop and pat each other on the back.