Friday 16 September 2011

Dieppe-Rouen-Paris

This update is a little bit late, as I’m already out of Paris. Our friends at Info Birmanie hosted me yesterday and we didn’t get back in until late so lets get started.

General consensus says the French are arrogant, but boy do they have something to be arrogant about, what a beautiful country. They seem to do the simple things just right. Take the crème brulee as an example; it’s just custard and burnt sugar! Why can’t anyone else get the burnt sugar part right?!?

What I have learnt in the last few days is the power of Coca Cola. I somehow managed to pierce the tab in my bag and it destroyed my mobile phone. In fact it destroyed nearly everything it touched.

Apart from the coke no other complaints just yet. I’m still feeling good, legs are a little tired but are still doing a fine job. I’m skipping my rest day in Paris, as I’m sure I will be desperate for an extra days rest a little further along the road.


In fact the only thing that slowed me down was roadworks/detour that resulted in further delays in the shape of my first puncture. This is when I learnt possibly the most powerful English sentence in France….. “oh no no, I’m not English, I’m Australian”, and I think the photo accompanying this blog can tell you the outcome. They insisted. Admittedly I didn’t really fight it.

Jonathan (photo) from Info Birmanie took my bike and myself in yesterday, and he was a lovely host. This is where I would like to mention; Not a penny of the money donated to my ride goes towards financing my trip. I am 100% funding this myself, therefore Jonathan's simple gesture is very very appreciated.


All the money raised goes to Burma Campaign UK. It goes towards lobbying governments and persuading those in position of power to do something that will help stop the human rights abuses in Burma.

I’m doing this ride and funding it myself because I believe in the work Burma Campaign UK does.

Jag