Sunday 9 October 2011

No walk in the park


Thanks to Anna Roberts I’ve had ‘eye of the tiger’ in my head for the last three days. I found myself singing it, whistling it, humming it and then went to tremendous lengths to make it go away.

I tried everything, stopped at lunch put my headphones in and listened to some ‘normal’ music but ‘eye of the tiger’ is like a disease. You need to be aggressive, persistent and committed if you want to beat it. Thanks Anna!

A few people have asked me if I listen to music while on the road. No I don’t. When I can’t hear my surroundings I feel like I’m not in control and I don’t like that feeling. I think it’s dangerous.

I have plenty of time for music when I’m not on the road. I’ve had the new Antlers album playing the last couple of weeks. It’s quite good, there’s a few absolute crackers on it.

It’s cold now. So cold a few days ago I went to pump up my tyres in the morning and my fingers weren’t responding. I gave up which was very silly as later that day I had a ‘snake bite’ puncture that could have been avoided with more air in my wheels. It’s what happens when you hit a sharp edge like a concrete kerb too hard and the inner tube gets pinched between the edge and the rim.

My hands weren’t frozen at this point but still very very cold. The only way to keep warm is to keep moving and working hard, so standing there on an open road, wind cutting through my body while I fix the puncture was demoralising.

The wind across my face was making my eyes water, it was by far the worst single moment so far. This was the first time I wished someone else was there with me. Not because I needed help, just so I could blame someone other than me.

This last week has officially been very tough but I’m keeping it together, there is no way this will beat me. Not with 1600km on the clock and a stone throw away from my final destination. So far I have not missed a scheduled riding day, I have not bailed and stayed in my hotel an extra night so i'll try hard not to now.

No matter how hard it seems tomorrow always brings a new day. In my case the new day brought a tail wind and a call from mum and dad.


I went through a few more hills coming from Braunschweig through Helmstedt into Magdeburg, lots of wind, some light rain, even some pouring rain.

On the upside riding with glasses through pouring rain is like looking at the world through Monet’s eyes……

All for now, the pub downstairs does roast pork.

Jag