Monday 15 August 2011

Getting Ready for the Ride

With only 4 weeks before I leave London I though a quick introduction and update on ‘final preparations’ is in order.

On a weekly basis Mark Farmaner, Director at Burma Campaign UK questions my sanity and wonders why on earth I think riding 2000km across Europe is a good idea. He seems to believe “sponsored lying in bed watching DVD’s” may be a better idea. I have no doubt somewhere along the way I may even agree with him but for now I will stick with cycling.

I’m hoping my bicycle ride will raise money to help Burma Campaign UK continue their fight for human rights in Burma.

I’m riding because I believe the work Burma Campaign UK does will help stop the rape of women by the military in the ethnic areas, help stop the use of child soldiers, help stop the displacement of millions of people and see the release of the political prisoners currently detained throughout Burma.

Before I left Australia and my job I always said if I have more time I would travel and spend more time on my bike. So here I am, about to ride my bike through 26 cities on my way to Prague.

By now I should be nearing ‘final preparation’ stage but I am nowhere near final preparation. I only just bought my bike last week. A few essential items like cycling shoes and clothing are either yet to be purchased or yet to arrive.

Those that know me well have more concerns about me actually leaving on time than arriving to Prague on time. My ability to forget and lose things as well as general confusion will only make this trip more interesting.

So the task for the next few weeks is preparing the bike, putting a few k’s into my legs and getting people to donate.